answers by the second ring
quilter, baker, meatloaf-maker
Encourager, no matter what
Happy Mothers' Day to all the moms out there, but especially to my own.
Now go bake yours some cake. She deserves it. :-)
For the cake:
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, plus more for the pan
1/3 cup cocoa powder
1 tsp salt
1 cup water
2 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for hte pan
1 3/4 cups sugar
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
2 large eggs
1/2 cup sour cream
1 tsp vanilla
For the ganache:
4 oz bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped
3 tbsp white sugar
1/2 cup heavy cream
Make the cake:
1. Position a rack in the center of the oven and heat to 350°F (176°C). Butter and flour a 10- or 12-cup Bundt pan and set aside.
2. In a small saucepan, combine the butter, cocoa powder, salt, and water and place over medium heat. Cook, stirring, just until melted and combined. Remove from the heat and set aside.
3. Place the flour, sugar, and baking soda in a large bowl and whisk to blend. Add half of the melted butter mixture and whisk until completely blended (the mixture will be quite thick). Add the remaining butter mixture and whisk until combined. Add the eggs, one at a time, whisking until completely blended before adding the next egg. Whisk in the sour cream and vanilla until smooth.
4. Scrape the batter into the prepared pan and bake until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean, 40 to 45 minutes. Let the cake cool in the pan for 15 minutes and then invert onto a rack. Let cool completely before glazing.
Make the ganache:
5. Just before glazing the cooled cake, place the chopped chocolate in a medium bowl and set aside. Combine the heavy cream and sugar in a small saucepan and put over medium heat. Stir constantly until the cream is hot and the sugar is dissolved. Pour the hot cream over the chocolate and whisk until melted and smooth. If the glaze is exceptionally runny, let it sit for a minute or so to thicken.
6. Drizzle the ganache over the cooled cake, allowing it to drip down the sides.