It's blog swap time again! For this round, I was matched with Brianna over at Oishii. I was so excited when I opened up my blog assignment, I squealed. Oishii is one of the first blogs I ever subscribed to!
Brianna and her husband spent a couple of years in Japan as newlyweds, and I knew the Mister would be excited about some homemade Asian fare. We pored over her recipe index, finally deciding on Crispy Chicken Wontons. Paired with a homemade sweet and spicy dipping sauce, these wontons were a delightful addition to our standard stir-fry dinner. (In fact, the filling was so tasty that I wanted to eat it right out of the pan!)
A couple of notes:
If you are anything like me, you'll be tempted to overfill these little guys. Resist the urge.
Do fry them. I tried my hand at a baked version, but they were no where near as crisp as the real deal.
Crispy Chicken Wontons
1/2 TBS. sesame oil
1/4 of a head of cabbage, shredded
1/2 lb. ground chicken
1 clove garlic, minced
1 tsp. fresh ginger, minced
salt & pepper to taste
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
2 TBS. soy sauce or more to taste
1/4 tsp chili paste, optional
30 wonton wrappers
vegetable oil for frying
Sweet chili sauce (recipe below)
1. Heat the sesame oil in a skillet over medium high heat. Cook the cabbage until it softens. Add the garlic and ginger and cook for another minute. Add the ground chicken and stir, breaking up the pieces until done. Season with salt, pepper and garlic powder. Add the soy sauce and chili paste, and turn off the heat. Taste and adjust seasoning if necessary.
2. Assemble the wontons by placing a spoonful of filling in the center of a wrapper. Dip your finger into a small dish of water and wet 2 of the sides. Fold the opposite sides over the filling and pinch together, forming a small triangle. Repeat with all the wrappers.
3. Pour vegetable oil into a pan to a depth of 1-inch. Heat over medium high heat. When hot, fry the wontons in batches (about 1-2 minutes per side) or until crispy and brown. Makes 30 wontons.
Homemade Sweet Chili Sauce
Adapted from Food.com
3 tablespoons hot ground chili paste
2 teaspoons minced garlic
½ cup rice wine vinegar
2⁄3; cup water
2⁄3; cup sugar
4 teaspoons cornstarch
1. Combine all ingredients in a small saucepan and stir well.
2. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until mixture thickens, about 5 minutes.
I'm so happy you were assigned my blog! And I'm honored I was one of the first ones you followed. I need to make these wontons again. So glad you and your husband enjoyed them!ReplyDelete
What a great recipe! I love crispy wontons and the filling sounds delicious.ReplyDelete
Thanks for being part of the recipe swaps!
You can be sure that you can only get the best results online. Remember cheap gucci uk sale, buying best gucci slippers sale,perfect gucci sunglasses sale.fake gucci tracksuits sale.discount gucci wallet sale is very similar to buying any other typeReplyDelete
This is a very kind of you. Thanks a lot for sharing so interesting content hardly can be found elsewhere. Keep up the good work!ReplyDelete
Order now cocktail sobranie online at best price you can find online…